Friday, April 6, 2012

Burt's Bees Baby Bee Liquid Soap Recipe

First of all, I can't even explain to you how excited I am right now to have been able to make this. I spend a fortune on soap for my kids because I refuse to use anything with chemicals and to have just made a gallon of this stuff for less than $8.00 is totally blowing my mind!

Here's what you will need:
  • 2 bars (7 oz total) of Burt's Bees Baby Bee Buttermilk Soap
  • 14 cups of water
  • Grater
  • Large pot, big enough to hold a gallon of liquid
  • Empty container big enough to hold 1 gallon

Directions:
  1. Grate both bars of soap onto a cutting board
  2. Heat 14 cups of water in your large pot on the stove
  3. Add soap shavings and heat until all soap is completely dissolved
  4. Stir and remove from heat
  5. Let stand for at least 24 hours
  6. Your soap is done!












































Notes:
  • The soap should be the consistency of snot. Sorry....but it's true. If it's too firm, add more water.
  • I used an electric hand mixer to "smooth" the soap before putting it in my jug
  • Ladle the soap into the jug using a funnel, attempting to pour the soap into the funnel will result in lots of soap on your countertops.
  • After washing my hands with the soap, they felt incredibly squeaky clean. I am thinking that the soap needs some oil added but am not sure how well that will go over. Next time I make this I will be using Baby Bee Apricot Oil in my recipe and will update ASAP.

I want to add that this was my second attempt at making liquid soap from bar soap. The first time I used a bar of Kiss My Face and it was a disaster...basically soap water. I thought I could use it to clean my floors but it left a film so I ended up scrubbing the deck with it. I was a bit reluctant going into this round of soap making fearing that the soap wouldn't turn out. PLEASE comment on this recipe if you can think of any modifications or ways that it can be made better!



11 comments :

  1. This sounds like a great idea. I have to use all natural soaps and shampoos, but I order mine online. I pay about $4 a bar for a shampoo bar, and just use that as soap too, LOL. The shampoo bar will last me about 4-5 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa. What site do you normally buy from? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hubby and i made this . It was fun and works well but i had to add more water to ours .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hydrogen Dioxide is a chemical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hydrogen Dioxide is HO2 this is not possible because hydrogen is monovalent and oxygen usually divalent there are two possibilities for compounds of these two elements either H2O or H2O2, maybe you mean Hydrogen Peroxide which at normal levels has amazing cleaning properties and is what people use as a disinfectant for wounds.

      This ingredient is not used in Burt's Bees Baby Bee soap. So not relevant to the post.

      Featured Ingredient

      Buttermilk — While regular milk is a natural, smoothing skin cleanser, Buttermilk is richer in fats and emollients. Giving your baby soft, silky skin.


      Ingredients: vegetable soap base, parfum (fragrance), butyris lac (buttermilk powder, babeurre en poudre), avena sativa (oat) kernel flour, CI 77891 (titanium dioxide), limonene.

      Delete
  5. Do you let the finished product rest for 24 hours in the pot or do you pour it into your container still warm? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glycerin will make your skin feel moisturized, or at least not dry...

    Start with 2T per gallon. (I use 1T per bar when I make liquid soap)

    HTH :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How much of this soap do you use per load?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ummm its for cleaning a child not its clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would this recipe work with Homemade castile soap? Can you add buttermilk while the recipe is cooking?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Before having a baby, we should have some essential baby products such as; baby bathing products, baby clothes, baby shower products, baby furniture, trolley and many others. Baby soap is also one of them and it complete the bathing process, as it contains useful ingredients which protects our baby's skin and makes it smooth and soft. But here in this article, we can get a different process of making baby bathing soap and this would an organic solution to keep their skin smooth and soft.
    Baby Bath

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!

Other Posts You May Like